Bushfire Resistant Roller Shutters
Two common ways that a house is destroyed by bushfire:
- Heat causes the windows to explode or enough heat is radiated and magnified through the glass to cause curtains and furniture to burst into flames and soon the house is on fire.
- Strong winds will often carry debris that will shatter windows long before a fire arrives. Sparks and embers then enter the building through broken windows and doors.
- Covering the glass areas of a home with bush fire roller shutters will reduce this from happening and potentially save the house.
How can Rollashield Shutters help?
We provide information, advice, installation certificates and quotes. We work with you to achieve a complying solution in bush fire situations.
BAL 29 OR BAL 40 Rating – We have roller shutters that comply with up to BAL 40.
Rollashield recommends using Forceshield Commercial Roller Shutters for protection up to BAL 40. In 2010 the CSIRO successfully tested Double-Wall Extruded Aluminium Roller Shutters to BAL 40.
BAL FZ Rating – Unfortunately, we do not have a roller shutter that will comply with BAL FZ.
- NOTE Certifiers may accept Rollashield BAL 40 roller shutters when used in conjunction with other devices for BAL FZ (Flame Zone) situations. The other devices may include BAL 40 windows or drenching systems.
“The flame zone is outside the scope of the BCA and the NSW Rural Fire Service may recommend protection measures where the applicant does not provide an adequate performance solution. Other measures such as drenching systems and radiant heat barriers may also be required.” (Excerpt from www.rfs.nsw.gov.au)
What are the Requirements?
Following the devastating 2009 Victorian bush fires and Black Saturday, the 2010 Building Code of Australia (BCA) and the amended Australian Standard AS 3959-2009 was set in place.
There are six bush fire attack levels that are used to determine the appropriate construction to be applied
- Flame Zone (Alternative Solution required).
Are Roller Shutters effective in Storms?
- Rollashield perforated and non-perforated shutters protect your windows from Storms.
- Category 3 Cyclone rated AS1170.2-1989. Sound transmission Class 39 As 1276-1979
- Rollashield Storm Shuttters will reduce condensation on the inside of your windows and provide protection from the outside temperature affecting the inside temperature.
- The insulation of the shutter together with the air gap between the shutter and the window enhances this effect